Semi-authentic ‘office ramen’ for under $2.70 AUD
For us Aussies, here's a decent ramen you can prepare in the office for under $2.70. You can do it even cheaper if you swap out some of the ingredients for different brands or buy in bulk (see notes below).
- Obento Ramen Noodles (145g sachet) – $1.45 at Woolworths
- Hikari Instant Miso sachet – 32c for single sachet (buy pack of 12 at Woolworths for $3.85)
- Chilli tuna (95g can) – 80c to $1 depending on brand
- Small handful of veggies (I used some frozen corn kernels, carrots and green beans) – will be around 10 – 20c.
- Shichimi spice blend
- Can substitute the tuna for a boiled egg (de-shelled and sliced in half) or tofu
- Buy dried ramen noodles in bulk from Japanese grocer (or Maggi wholegrain 2-minute noodles if you're feeling really cheap)
- Tub of miso paste instead of individual sachets (each serve only needs around 1-2 tsp of miso)
- Take a big fancy-looking bowl and throw in your veggies
- Fill 2/3rds with boiled water and let sit for a minute
- Add ramen noodles and let sit for a couple more minutes
- Microwave for 60 seconds
- Add miso paste and whisk with a fork
- Add tuna / egg / tofo
- Add Shichimi if you got it
With tuna this comes in at around 400 calories per serve.
Submitted September 20, 2017 at 01:07PM by KontraKode